By Justin Ritzinger
Justin Ritzinger argues that the cult of Maitreya represents an try and articulate a brand new constellation of values, integrating novel understandings of the nice, clustered round sleek visions of utopia, with the principal Buddhist objective of Buddhahood. partially One he lines the roots of this constellation to Taixu's younger profession as an anarchist. half examines its articulation within the Maitreya School's theology and its social improvement from its inception to global battle II. half 3 appears at its next decline and modern legacy inside of and past orthodox Buddhism. via those investigations, Anarchy within the natural Land develops a brand new framework for substitute understandings of modernity in Buddhism.
Read or Download Anarchy in the Pure Land: Reinventing the Cult of Maitreya in Modern Chinese Buddhism PDF
Similar alternative history books
The japanese career of either British Borneo – Brunei, Sarawak and North Borneo – and Dutch Borneo in 1941 to 1945 is a miles understudied topic. Of specific curiosity is the career of Dutch Borneo, ruled through the Imperial jap army that had long term plans for ‘permanent possession’. This e-book surveys Borneo less than Western colonialism, examines pre-war jap pursuits in Borneo, and analyses the japanese army invasion and profession.
This ebook strains the social background of early glossy Japan’s intercourse alternate, from its beginnings in seventeenth-century towns to its apotheosis within the nineteenth-century geographical region. Drawing on criminal codes, diaries, city registers, petitions, and legal files, it describes how the paintings of "selling girls" reworked groups around the archipelago.
First released in 2000. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
In one new release, the increase of Asia has induced a dramatic sea swap within the world’s monetary and political orders. This reconfiguration is happening amidst a bunch of deepening worldwide predicaments, together with weather switch, migration, expanding inequalities of wealth and chance, that can't be resolved via basically technical capacity or through looking recourse in a liberalism that has of past due confirmed to be lower than powerful.
- Counterinsurgency, Democracy, and the Politics of Identity in India: From Warfare to Welfare? (Routledge Contemporary South Asia Series)
- Reluctant Restraint: The Evolution of China's Nonproliferation Policies and Practices, 1980-2004 (Studies in Asian Security)
- Wu Han, Historian: Son of China's Times
- Sanitized Sex: Regulating Prostitution, Venereal Disease, and Intimacy in Occupied Japan, 1945-1952 (Asia Pacific Modern)
- Sailors, Slaves, and Immigrants: Bondage in the Indian Ocean World, 1750–1914 (Palgrave Series in Indian Ocean World Studies)
- The Last Emperors of Vietnam: From Tu Duc to Bao Dai (Contributions in Asian Studies)
Extra info for Anarchy in the Pure Land: Reinventing the Cult of Maitreya in Modern Chinese Buddhism
Anarchy in the Pure Land: Reinventing the Cult of Maitreya in Modern Chinese Buddhism by Justin Ritzinger